25 April 2006

Don't you weep for them

George Bush has temporarily stopped any oil from being deposited in the national oil reserve. This will hopefully help curb the current hike in gas prices. They federal government is also investigating oil companies to see if they are illegally hiking prices since most oil companies are seeing record profits right now.

Personally, I just want to see prices go back down to below $2. I don't know if that's going to happen, but it would be nice. And I am taking this personally (especially since my temporary vehicle gets about 12 miles to each gallon in the city). I brought my bike back from Birmingham and will be riding it around my neighborhood and downtown. I know it will be hot this summer, but the money that it saves me will help out so much.

Now, don't start thinking that I am going all "green" and am going to break out my Birkenstocks and become a veggie. This really has nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with finances. I do care about the environment, but this has nothing to do with that.

If the government ever comes to a conclusion on the Alaskan oil fields, then we could make some progress. Granted we would have to tear into thousands of acres of beautiful nature to access this oil, but then we would not be relying so much on Middle-Eastern oil for import and could have a lot of it right here in N America. It's a tough thing to come to a conclusion on, but I think that could be an important thing.

Also, George Bush is pushing for more government funding for Hydrogen powered cars. They would use ZERO petrolium and would rely on cheaper and more enviromentally-friendly fuel. Personally, I am all for this. If I could have the most effecient hybrid I would right now. Too bad I can't afford one and even if I could there is a waiting list. I guess that's a good thing

I guess this post makes me look either very political or very hippie-like, but it realy boils down to the fact that gas prices are stupid right now and we should do all we can to help aliviate the situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home