29 November 2007

Yesterday I woke up



To follow up on my post below, I want to share my disgust in the obesity epidemic in the United States. That's right, I said "epidemic." Considering that the obesity rate in our country has more than doubled since 1980 [15% in 1980 to 32% today] I think saying that it's an epidemic is mostly fair.

But let's not just look at the number 32%. Let's break that down to the real number of obese people in the US: 72 Million. Outrageous? I think so. Also outrageous? The fact that researchers are "encouraged that our obesity rate is plateauing." Thank God, that it's not rising any higher, but how about let's get encouraged when our country figures it out and that rate starts rapidly declining.

I feel like some might consider my opinion harsh or insensitive. I feel like my opinion is warranted as it relates to this disheartening statistic.

Some might ask if I have solutions. Of course I do, but I can't solve anyone's weight issues. So I'd rather the solution be assumed by each individual whether struggling with obesity or not.

And, personally speaking, I could do without the TLC documentaries highlighting the individuals who come to live in obesity clinics. Those are just depressing. But then again, I am the only one responsible for what I watch on TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home