16 July 2008

To the beat of just one drum



If you haven't heard (and I don't know how you couldn't have) Anheuser-Busch of St. Louis, Missouri has sold the company to Belgian brewing giant, In Bev. Not such a big deal, right? Well a lot of American purists are raising a stink over the move.

In Bev - creator of Bass, Stella Artois, Hoegarden, Beck's beers - purchased August Busch's long-standing, family-owned and all-American company this week for about $50 billion. This type of business move is usually heralded as a great business move, but a lot of American, especially St. Louisians, are speaking out in disgust. Many say that this move is symbolic of Busch selling out to foreigners. Others are publicly reminding Busch of his promise to never sell the company.

Well, I would never sell anything for less than $50 billion either. Just kidding...I would sell a lot and for a lot less. But the old saying stands that "money talks." And really, I don't see the need for all the rage. From what I've read, it's solely a profitable business move. Now, if InBev said they wanted to change the name of Busch Stadium to Beck's Ball Park, I'd raise my voice. I have a suspicion, however, that neither InBev nor Busch see a beneficial reason to give a truly American tradition a European flair. That would just be silly, or as they say in Belgium, "Amusant."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home