29 July 2005

What's left to ponder??

In Washington DC there is a big issue at hand. That issue is stem cell research. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is standing behind legislation to expand federal financing for human embryonic stem cell research, stating that "it's not a matter of faith, it's a matter of science."

Former First Lady Nancy Reagan is supporting Frist and others in this because this research could help ease so much suffering worldwide in the future.

This is where I get conflicted in how I feel about it. I agree with Frist and Reagan to an extent that it would be amazing to know things that could end so much suffering, but I also disagree with Frist in that I feel that this is a matter of faith for those whose faith encompasses the sanctity of human life.

Now President Bush is making threats to veto the bill because he's made his point clear: "There is a principle involved here from the president's standpoint when it comes to issues of life."

I agree with this as well. There are principles when it comes to issues of human life. There are major principles. And I feel as if standing on the conservative Christian side of this debate can make me seem so insensitive towards all those who are suffering and could possibly benift from this research. I'm very sensitive towards them and that is why I'm conflicted. How do you compare the value of life for the value of life? It's like asking someone which quarter is better. Neither...they are both worth 25 cents. So how are we to decide which life is better or more valuable?

I guess this is a time that I need to learn more about the positives and negatives of stem cell research and really pray about how I feel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home