20 December 2007

The Symphonies of Agony


It's the end of the year. We all know that. And so does every music/arts publication on the globe. A lot of these "End Of The Year" lists come from trusted and reliable source. Sources like Spin, Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, New York Times and the list goes on. What's funny is the subjectivity behind all of it. Where one list (Spin) has Rilo Kiley's "Under the Blacklights" at number 40 of 40, Rolling Stone lists it at a surprising No. 8.

I know there's a lot of different criteria being used to mark albums as best of the year, but I would hope to think that we could see a little more consistency. Now let me qualify that. The lists, as a whole, have a lot of the same albums in their overall list. Most - if not all - of the albums (I would have to say) are the best of the year, but the orders are completely screwed. I'm not sure if some of the list makers truly feel that number 1 is the best of the year or if the list is just an overall compilation of the year's best in no particular order.

It seems to me that there's so much inconsistency. And am I crazy to think that it's so wrong for Rolling Stone to have put Linkin Park, Britney Spears, Fall Out Boy and Maroon 5 on their list? But enough about all that. As usual here are a list of what I feel are the Best of the Year. Unlike most lists, mine will be in no particular order.

Radiohead - "In Rainbows"
Arcade Fire - "Neon Bible"
Against Me - "New Wave"
Bright Eyes - "Cassadaga"
The White Stripes - "Icky Thump"
Feist - "The Reminder"
Justice - "t"
Sigur Ros - "Heif/Hvarm"



Now some albums that may not be the 10 best of the year, but ones that I've certainly enjoyed:

As Cities Burn - "Come Now Sleep"
Interpol - "Our Love To Admire"
Travis - "The Boy With No Name"
The Receiving End of Sirens - "The Earth Sings Mi Fa Mi"
Ryan Adams - "Easy Tiger"
Minus the Bear - "Planet of Ice"

Oh and the list goes on. I will probably be out of commission for a few days, but will be ringing in 2008 with a bang. Not literally, though.

1 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, December 28, 2007 , Blogger Christopher Copeland said...

My two cents:
Arcade Fire, Neon Bible
Patty Griffin, Children Running Through
Josh Ritter, The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter
The National, Boxer
Feist, The Reminder
Radiohead, In Rainbows
Joseph Arthur, Let's Just Be
William Fitzsimmons, Goodnight
Band of Horses, Cease to Begin
Small Sails, Similar Anniversaries

#1 on my "Want to look cool list" is Radiohead, but on my "This is what I listened to the hell out of list" they fall to # 2 behind The National, which coincidentally was the second best National record I listened to this year. The other is from 2005 and so can't technically make this list.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home